Call for Conference Speakers!
Disability Rights Montana’s Annual Virtual Conference
Shifting the Narrative on Mental Health: Liberation through Choice and Equity
September 15-17, 2021
For our 2021 annual virtual conference, we seek to defend the dignity of people with psychiatric labels, their right to make personal life decisions, and their access to equitable resources. We believe that this mission is most effectively achieved through focusing on the perspectives of advocates with lived experience with the public mental health system. As psychiatric experiences cross all demographic groups, it is incumbent upon us to elevate the perspectives of advocates who identify as members of various social groups. Along with self-advocates, the conference will also feature the current work of civil rights attorneys and advocates who promote disability justice across the United States. We aspire for this conference to embody the disability justice motto “nothing about us without us” to shift the narrative to center the perspective of psychiatric survivors in the mental health care conversation.
If you are a disability justice advocate, attorney, or service provider, please join us as we work to center disabled voices, increase disability representation, and promote anti-ableist work throughout Montana. If you would like to share your innovative idea(s), tangible tools, and solutions, we invite you to submit a form below. This speaking engagement will be a paid opportunity.
Consistent with our theme of self-determination and equity, Disability Rights Montana wishes to discuss the following topics (and adjacent topics) during our conference:
- Culturally competent and trauma-informed mental health care
- Enforcement of the Olmstead decision
- Competitive Integrated Employment
- Less Restrictive Alternatives to Guardianship
- Wrap Around and Cross-Over of Community Services for People with Co-Occurring Disorders
- Carceral System Reform
- Integrated Education
- SSI Marriage Penalty
- Ending the Violence against People with Disabilities
- Reproductive Rights of People with Disabilities
If you are interested in being a speaker, please fill out our submission form. You must submit the following items:
- Brief Outline of Proposal and Presentation
- Your Motivation to Participate in Disability Rights Montana’s 2021 Conference
Guidelines for 2021 Submissions:
- Only the speakers themselves may make submissions.
- No vendor submissions.
- Submissions that are incomplete will be rejected.
- Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Final panelist submissions are due no later than February 15, 2021.
- Acceptance notifications will be made the week of March 8, 2021.